The scariest thing about Parenthood is that knowledge that you have to put your little soul into a tub filled with water. Then you need to put a slippery substance (better known as soap) all over him and try not drop his head into the water all at the same time. Not just once or twice, but every single day.
Ways I have tried to bath my sons:
- My mother’s way: First you have to wash the babies hair while he is fully clothed.. Then you take off his clothes and start slathering the child with soap. Then when he is all slathered up and slippery, you put them in the water and rinse. (I tried it once and never again- a slippery, wiggly baby is NOT fun)
- The normal way: Put the baby in the bath and then put soap on the baby and wash. Lol. Simple. But still slippery.
- The soapy way: Put the soap in the water first and then put the baby in and wash him. Only works of he doesn’t splash the burning chemicals into his face or if he doesn’t drink the bath water (so never)
- The cloth bath: It’s all in the title, you use a cloth and wash the baby out of the bath. This one doesn’t work as well as you’d imagine, because the baby gets cold and screams 90% of the time and you can’t seem to ever get all the soap off.
- Do you have any other ways to bath a baby?
I’m very lucky that my husband wasn’t quite as anxious about it as I was, and he helped me out the first couple of nights. Then just when you think that you have the hang of it, SPLASH 💦. The baby starts to actively try and kill himself by splashing water into his own face and diving head first into the water.
It’s been getting much better now with bathtime and my eldest can bath independently. He throws all his toys into the bath and plays there for occasionally two hours, while simultaneously washing himself and washing his own hair. I have to drag him out of the cold water some nights, kicking and screaming, but at least I know he’s having fun.